Accepting The Diagnosis

Once I recieved the diagnosis It really took me a few more weeks to actually accept it.
I think because although I was at peace with my new journey, I still knew nothing about Down Syndrome, and what I did know was extremely outdated which I think is what scared me the most, all the unknown.
After speaking with a few friends, I began to slowly find connections with a community of T21 mums.
I was recommended to a small private group of mums, mostly pregnant or who have young children with T21.
At first I think I almost felt worried, I was unsure about this new community of people and their children and I was scared to find out what the future for my child could potentially be like. The best pieceof advice I was given was to take each day as it comes, dont look to far forward into the future, live in the moment and everything will be ok!
I introduced myself and recieved and overwhelming amount of support, these woman had been through the roller coaster of emotions that I had been through, they had felt what I was feeling, and there was not one bit of judgment, only experience, love and empathy. 
I seen pictures of their families, their beautiful children with T21 and at first I cried, not because I was sad, but because I soon began to feel excited and was shown how beautiful these children were. I began to learn about Down Syndrome and how these children were more like "normal" children than different.
At first I was scared about how my baby would look, would he look like a "down syndrome child?" But within an instant I fell in love with those beautiful almond shaped eyes, and their cute buttons noses, I came to the realization that my baby will not look like a "down syndrome child" but he will look like my baby! He will look like myself and his dad, with a hint of that little extra something special! And I couldnt wait! 
After all the difference between someone ordinary and someone extraordinary is that little bit "extra"

By the time I reached 20 weeks, I felt like I had grip of it all, I knew alot more about T21 and felt confident in sharing my Journey, I began to tell people about my sons diagnosis and educate them, and let me say it was the biggest weight off my shoulders, I felt a sense of relief, I was open and honest and felt so supported and loved by everyone in my life.
And I was so glad I could take people on this journey with me!
It wasnt untill about this time that I truly began to enjoy my pregnancy, the stress and concern, and wonder you feel when you go through something like this is unexplainable, but I soon felt a calm and could enjoy my little boy, begin to feel his movements, truly love him and couldn't wait to see what our future held!

Comments

  1. So glad to have "met" you. Rest assured, we will be with you every step of the way!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hey You, Yes You.

The Truth Behind Your Smile

My T21 Story, The diagnosis.