A Light At The End Of The Tunnel

As time creeps closer to 21st of March, (World Down Syndrome day.) I find myself reflecting on this time last year and the motions I was experiencing after a diagnosis of down syndrome for my son.

I had decided to overcome the fear of Oliver's diagnosis and felt I could do this by sharing with people that he in fact had Down Syndrome. I felt I was holding something back by hiding it from people. I felt like down syndrome was a burden on my shoulder and I didnt know how to overcome it.

I made the decision to share with friends, family, and work colleagues, and the parents and children at my work what was in store for us. And let me tell you it was the best thing I did. The support I recieved was unimaginable. The love and strength I felt was amazing and down syndrome no longer felt like something to be ashamed of. I was bloody proud and I wanted EVERYONE to know it!

It makes me sad now to think of the feelings I felt during that time and how unsure and afraid I was. But once I could see the light at the end of the tunnel, something clicked inside my heart and I knew I was being lead on the right path.


From then on, I took it in my stride to advocate for my son. To share my experience and teach people that Down syndrome is not scary, it is love, and kindness, hope, strength and resilience. It is joy and it is fun! And best of all, its only an extra chromosome, whats all the fuss about?

I made a big deal about World Down Syndrome day at work, we wore crazy socks, did drawing and paintings, shared photos and read books. Everyone got involved and I was able to talk with people and share with them things about down syndrome I had learnt. I was able to advocate for my son, and he wasnt even born yet! I felt like I was doing everything I could to be the best mother for Oliver.

This year for World Down Syndrome day I am teaching him that in this world, it is ok to be different, but most of all, that he is more alike than different, and that he will be, and do everything he strives to. The sky is the limit and the world is his oyster! And one things for sure, I will always be standing at the finish line, cheering him on!

Having a diagnosis of down syndrome can be hard, and to put it simply, I promise all the future T21 mums to be out there, from the depths of my heart that it will all be ok! You will love your child, and so will others! And when you see that squishy newborn face you'll wonder what you ever worried about! Xx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey You, Yes You.

The Truth Behind Your Smile

My T21 Story, The diagnosis.