Love Knows No Bounds

When I found out I was going to be a mother, I didnt expect to be on the journey I am on.
I didnt think this would be my life.
Im not any stronger because of it.
Im not "meant" to be the mother of a child with T21, it just happened!
Having a child with T21 is both rewarding and heart wrenching.
I see his struggle, and I see his strength.
Hes my happy, loving, gentle, shy and courageous baby boy.
He loves to splash around in the bath and make a mess with his food.
He cries because he is tired and when hes in pain.
He does all the things a typical baby does, but he also does more.
He uses all his strength in each and every movement.
He persists and never gives up, even though its hard.
Hes thrown hurdle after hurdle, but he never stops jumping, running, untill he reaches the finish line.
He suffers through pain only we can imagine.
Did you know hes been poked and prodded with needles more than 100 times?
He bares scars on his chest, his tummy, his little foot, his neck, his hands.
They all tell a story, of strength and resilience.
Hes thrown a new curve ball every so often.
I grieve for his struggle.
His constant battles.
Yet he knows know different, and he still shoots forward with leaps and bounds.
I worry for him, because he cannot.
He doesnt understand.
Sometimes this makes things easy, and sometimes it does not.
I cannot tell him the pain will stop, I can only ensure he feels a world full of love.
Make sure he knows he is safe and always feels at home.
Provide him with what he needs to succeed.
And love him unconditionally.
I will push him to be the best he can be.
And I thrive to be the best mummy I know how.
Some days I wish I could take it all away, stop the hurdles.
But I quickly realise life wouldn't be the same with out that extra chromosome.
We would have less appointments, less therapy, less interventions, less heartache.
But I would also have someone different to love, It wouldnt be Oliver.
Having down syndrome is apart of him, and maybe without it, his almonds shaped eyes would not squeeze tighly shut when he smiles his biggest smiles.
Maybe he wouldnt have his wide hands and short adorable fingers.
Maybe he wouldnt have his short little legs and his fat stubby toes.
Maybe his ears would sit higher, sit flatter, instead of his little button ears that poke out at the top!
He would not be my little Oliver who I adore.
I quickly come to and try to be positive.
Things could be different.
So we will walk this path, we will jump the hurdles, tough it out through the struggles and love through the heartache.
We will smile through the joy and praise all the milestones.
We will laugh, cry, shout and scream, and im sure there will be many others.
But last but not least, we will do it together.
Family stick together, and love has no bounds.
I am his and he will always be mine!
We will go through life the best way we know how, by kicking it in the ass and being the leader of our journey.
You only have one life, live it. 💛💙


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey You, Yes You.

The Truth Behind Your Smile

My T21 Story, The diagnosis.