The Truth Behind Your Smile


When we are out and about what do you see?
I see a baby looking at me.

You stare, you whisper and give a faint smile,
It's something I notice from as far as a mile.

I hear your words as clear as day,
I couldn't do it, you will say.

You ramble about someone you knew,
"Down Syndrome is given to the lucky few."

To which I nod and give a smirk,
I can see you are sorry and starting to lurk.

I share my story of how he became,
You tell me I'm special for playing this game.

My eyes roll for I've heard it before,
I'm just another mother you've met at the store.

We are no different, me and you,
Mothers with children both of us two.

We both have a Journey, unique and its own,
The difference you see is what we have known.

Just look and you'll see people all around,
Different faces, colours, all shapes and sounds.

We've grown to judge by what we see,
I strive to show you how he has changed me.

For what he can do with his life now and later,
Will suprise you, I promise, I will always cater.

For the boy who has taught me how to be kind,
To love and give, he has changed my whole mind.

So next time you see someone different to you,
Remember everyone is different in all that we do.

Not defined by something as small as a chromosome, nay,
but because we are all people with our own DNA.


Comments

  1. Nice writing bianca. i'm glad i keep remembering to check back and see how things are with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Hey You, Yes You.

Be Proud Of You