Competition, There is None.

Competition.

Where does the constant need for competition come from when we are talking about our kids, or even our parenting?
It's something I see on the daily, and quite franky Im calling bullshit.
Mums need to support Mums, Dads need to support Dads, and Mums and Dads need to support each other.
We are ALL on this crazy journey called parenthood, and not 1 of us really know what the fuck we are doing.
We just do it.
Whether you have 1 child or 7 children, each child is an individual being and each journey is different.
Which leads my to my next question.
Why cant we praise each other when we talk about our childs achievements?
Why do we compare our kids when their genetic makeup is NOTHING alike?
It makes no sense to me.
I tell you what, the next time a friend, partner, or parent confides in you about their childs achievement, praise them, hug them, be proud for them.
Because the last thing they want to hear is, "Oh yes Billy has been doing that for months!"
Well thanks for the stab!
It's like saying "Your childs good but mines great."
I have never noticed this more than ever now I have my own child.
One with his own added challenges.
I know he will learn the things your child already does even though they are 6, or even 12 months younger than him.
But he will do it in his own time, and he will do it triumphantly.
And I will be the proudest mother for each and ever tiny milestones, because these little people of ours want for nothing but love and praise, and I will give that too him.
But I would be lying if I said It doesnt hurt when theres this need for people to constantly "out do" you.
It's tough seeing your child struggle and do 10 times the work of others and I'de be lying if I said I dont care when he achieves these milestones, because I do care.
All we want is for our children to succeed and be the absolute best they can be, and I am working myself into the ground trying to make that happen for my child.
What I need, what we all need, is people supporting us. Acknowledging that yes maybe your child achieved something before mine, but that now is not the time to rub that in, now is the time to say, "this shit is hard on the best of days and your doing a fucking fantastic job!"
It doesnt matter how you parent, in the end we are all parents doing the best we can for our kids.
And in the end all these precious humans will shine when its their time.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey You, Yes You.

The Truth Behind Your Smile

Be Proud Of You