Have you ever sat back and just watched your child play without saying anything?

A great Psychologist once told me to let my child play on his own, with me still nearby, silently.
He told me to sit with him and not say a word unless needed, and be amazed at what children do when given the environment and tools to just be them.

Life is busy, and I often find myself caught up in the hustle of life. Constantly reminding myself of what the Physio, OT or Speechie tells me I should be doing to help my son.
Always intervening in Olivers play in hopes to make an "at home therapy" opportunity.
To give him opportunitys to learn purposely through me.

Normally in this instance, I would have sat with Oliver when I noticed him with the book, I would have tried to read it, tried to turn pages with him and in the past he would have become annoyed and ended up moving to another activity. I would assume he didnt want to read.

Today I stopped myself, I shut my mouth, and I watched him.
I watched as his little mind ticked, his legs straighten to hold the book on his lap, his clever hands turn the pages, and his sweet eyes lock onto its contents, and I saw him learning, absorbing information and teaching himself.
I only spoke when needed. He stared at the boat, curiously and interested. I told him what it was and that was it. He acknowledged I had spoken and he continued. That’s all he needed from me.

I realised as a mum of an A-typical child we find ourselves caught up in constantly pressuring ourselves and our children to learn because of their diagnosis.
We forget that they are simply children, and they will still learn things without us constantly stepping in. We are always just trying to do the best for our kids, but today I learnt to have faith in my child’s abilities, to let him discover things for himself, but be there with him, ready when he needs my help and trust that his little mind will keep on ticking and learning just as any other child’s, and it did.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hey You, Yes You.

The Truth Behind Your Smile

Be Proud Of You